Vegan skincare products are only increasing in popularity as we learn more about the benefits of using natural ingredients and about the harmful effects that animal-derived ingredients and animal byproducts can have.
The effects that some non-vegan ingredients can have is especially harmful if you are pregnant, postpartum or breastfeeding as it can affect your baby too.
What are the benefits of vegan skincare?
There are so many reasons why using vegan skincare is so advantageous compared to non-vegan skincare. We believe that vegan skincare is a perfect choice for people who are pregnant, postpartum or breastfeeding.
Some cosmetic ingredients are absorbed through your skin and then into your bloodstream. This can affect your baby too, whether you are still pregnant or breastfeeding. This means that during pregnancy it is even more vital than ever that you choose the right skincare for you.
So what are the benefits of using vegan skincare?
- No animals are ever harmed in the making of any vegan skincare products. This is far more ethical than animal-tested products. It does not make sense to test on animals as they are not similar enough to us. This, therefore, makes it even crueller when it is used as it is not even going to properly predict what effect a product may have on a human.
- They are much more healthy for your skin and your body because of the natural, plant-based ingredients that they contain. These types of ingredients have natural anti-inflammatory effects and are full of antioxidants. At the same time, they do not contain any nasty additives or chemicals that will only serve to clog your pores up.
- Buying vegan products will also reduce your carbon footprint. Vegan products have to be made sustainably meaning the packaging is able to be recycled instead of being made of plastic and spending years waiting to rot away.
How can you tell if skincare is vegan?
If you are not sure whether or not a product that you want to buy is vegan, we have a few tips to help you figure it out.
- Check the label and packaging for the ingredients. Look up the ingredients you are unfamiliar with. For instance, carmine, or cochineal extract, is a purplish-red dye which is obtained from crushed cochineal insects.
- Use this free Vegan Ingredient Checker, to check whether the ingredients in your skincare are vegan. All you have to do is type in the name of the ingredient, and this online tool will verify whether it is vegan.
- Look for vegan logos on the product. For example, the product might have a logo that says ‘Vegan Certified’ or ‘100% vegan’.
- Check the company website, to see if they advertise themselves as vegan.
- If the company website isn’t detailed enough, contact them directly to ask if their products are vegan.
- Don’t just assume that a skincare product is vegan, just because it contains natural ingredients, such as beeswax. Beeswax cannot be classified as vegan, as it is obtained by exploiting worker bees.
- Don’t just follow popular beauty trends. The skincare community is currently raving about ingredients like snail mucin and retinol, but these may not be vegan-friendly if they come from animals.
What’s the difference between vegan and non-vegan skincare?
Vegan skincare contains far more plant-based ingredients and natural herbs but non-vegan products often include artificial ingredients such as colourants and preservatives. These types of artificial ingredients are made from man-made chemicals that can be damaging to your skin, even causing irritation.
Vegan skincare will never have been tested on any animals and therefore will be 100% cruelty-free. This is not necessarily the case for non-vegan products. Some non-vegan companies do not use animal testing but some do use it before they are sold.
Non-vegan skincare products often use ingredients from animals such as gelatine, carmine, shellac, beeswax and even animal hair. These ingredients can be found in products like lotions, creams, shampoos, make-up, make-up removers and nail polishes amongst many others.
Vegan products would never use any of these ingredients as they are taken from animals and therefore the product would no longer be vegan.
What do we recommend?
At Mama Jewels we have personal experience with the way pregnancy and giving birth can be tough on people’s bodies. We understand how difficult it can be to find skincare products that are safe for you whether you are pregnant, postpartum or breastfeeding.
This is why we decided to make our own vegan skincare line to help people feel pampered, hydrated and 100% in their skin.
All of the ingredients that we use are vegan-friendly, certified organic and sustainably sourced to make products that are 100% vegan and cruelty-free.
Very importantly these vegan skincare products are not just for pregnant and postpartum people but can be used by the whole family including your new baby.
You can look at our skincare products individually or some come in hampers as a set or you can even create a hamper of your own. We have loads of different hampers as well as just our vegan skincare line.
Read on to discover a few of our favourite vegan, cruelty-free products in our skincare collection:
1. Baby and Bump Balm
Every pregnant mum or postpartum mum deals with scratches, bumps, dry patches, stretch marks and everything in between.
Our Baby and Bump Balm is a natural soothing remedy to deal with those pesky skin issues. It is a 100% natural blend of skin-nourishing butter and oils, to soothe those boo-boos!
Even the most sensitive little skin will be softened, which is why our nourishing balm can be used on your little angel, so their skin will feel hydrated and smooth.
Specially formulated for babies to provide moisture and nourishment to skin in need of TLC, our balm contains shea butter and almond oil for extra skin protection.
You won’t have to worry about any harsh ingredients or toxic chemicals in our Baby and Bump Balm- this tub of goodness is free from preservatives, artificial perfumes and colourants.
Our gorgeous Baby and Bump Balm slides easily on the skin, giving you that wonderful pregnancy glow!
2. Vegan Baby and Bump Natural Serum for Mum and Baby
Isn’t it so frustrating when you have to use different skincare products for different family members, because you all have different skin types and needs?
Well, we have created our Vegan Baby and Bump Natural Serum for Mum and Baby, as a ‘2 in 1’ solution to treat skin problems of both mother and infant.
Gentle enough for a baby’s sensitive, tender skin, our serum can be used to hydrate your little angel’s dry patches. Handmade with love in the UK, you can also use this product to treat nappy rashes, eczema flare-ups and dry skin which is prone to dermatitis and psoriasis.
Rich in Sweet Almond Oil and shea butter, with added chamomile and calendula, this serum is deeply nourishing.
It is also a useful soothing remedy for treating wounds, burns, scars and inflammation.
Click here to shop our Vegan Baby and Bump Natural Serum for Mum and Baby.
About Mama Jewels
Mama Jewels is an independent gift box company, selling planet-friendly and vegan-friendly artisan gifts, to help make the transition to motherhood easier and more comfortable for pregnant mums and new mums.
Visit the Mama Jewels website here.
Contact us at 07720 890552 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to get in touch – we would be happy to help.